Threads is a new social media app from Instagram that looks and feels very similar to Twitter. Launched during the first week of July, the new Meta social media has seen a meteoric rise in number of signups within the first 48 hours reaching 97 million. However, there are some key differences between the two platforms.
Let’s dive into the high level view, We’ll leave it up to you if you will jump into it or move from twitter to Threads.
1) Threads is linked to your Instagram account (if you have it), so you can import your bio and followers from Instagram. This means that you can use Threads to share your thoughts and updates with the same people you follow on Instagram.
2) Threads has a longer character limit for posts than Twitter. Posts on Threads can be up to 500 characters long, compared to 280 characters for non-paying Twitter users and 10,000 characters for Twitter Blue subscribers.
3) Threads only has one feed, which shows posts from people you follow and recommended content. This is different from Twitter, which has multiple feeds, such as your Home feed, notifications, and mentions.
4) Threads does not have some of the features that Twitter does, such as account switching, hashtags, DMs, search, paid ads, or a desktop version. These features may be added in the future, but for now, Threads is a more limited platform than Twitter.
5) Threads is currently unavailable in the European Union due to privacy concerns. This means that people that lives in the EU cannot create or use a Threads account.Threads is available in 100 countries, including the U.S, Brazil, Australia, United Kingdom, Canada, and Japan.
Overall, Threads is a new social media app that offers a more personal and intimate experience than Twitter, Basically It’s like twitter but only for you and your friends. For business and marketing this might make sense, it’s kinda of a “Facebook Groups 2.0”.
If you are looking for a way to connect with your close friends and followers, Threads may be a good option for you. However, if you are looking for a platform with more features and options, you may want to stick with Twitter. Following is three additional things to consider about Threads:
6) It is not possible to delete a Threads account without also deleting your Instagram account.
7) Threads is a relatively new app, so it is still under development.
8) The app may not be available in all countries.